Monday, November 20, 2006

Happiness while Living in Duality

Two years ago, I wasn’t exactly the happy type. I was tired all the time, I was sad, depressed, stressed. I used to argue with my parents and partner all the time… Until I realized that I lived in duality. You are probably asking ‘what is duality?’

Duality is the concept of thinking opposites all the time. For example, this apple is sweet or sour, this book is good or bad, this feels right or wrong or in general everything is perceived as either negative or positive.

I had learnt in my psychology courses that the perception of positive or negative are only true for the observer. So I thought to myself, since as a human I am doomed to live in duality, what happens if I eliminate negativity from my life and be positive all the time?

So I started by writing things that I didn’t like and tried to eliminate them from my life. I stayed away from certain people or functions, I stopped watching sad movies, I avoided arguments by saying I’m sorry as quickly as I could so basically I avoided anything that stressed me out or made me unhappy.

They say to be happy you have to find inner-happiness. But they didn’t teach us at school how to find it or where to find it. So I thought to myself what if I do things that make me happy and bring me joy? I started watching more comedies, I hung out with good friends, I cooked exotic dishes and enjoyed good food. And of course smiled and laughed more often.

I still have unhappy moments in my life, but now I have more happy moments than unhappy ones.

No comments: