Saturday, November 18, 2006

Desire - The Divided Self - WHO AM I?

It is always hard to distinguish between desires, lust, demand, need, goal and love. All these are different from each other, but one can easily be defined by the other. Therefore, they are all essentially the same.

Every human being is born with 1 self. After birth the baby cries "who am I?" because while it was in the womb it knew "I am that".

During life, every human being creates more selves around the primitive one. Because one is always questioning "Who am I?". Sometimes the primary question is modified and becomes "Who should I be?" "A social worker? A doctor? or a gang member?" The number of selves grows so much that the primitive one becomes lost. These selves are created by the person to satisfy the soul, but interestingly the person never feels satisfied?

If you have the desire to do spiritual stuff e.g. you have a desire to open your third eye. These essentially create another self on top of the others. Imagine that you have your third eye open and see creatures of other worlds... These things are again external to you and still won't satisfy the question.

Dictionary define ego as: "An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem. " But ego should really be defined as "the conscious that most immediately controls thought and behaviour, and is most in touch with external reality."
So it is the ego that creates the selves because it is concerned with the external life. Taking control of the ego therefore reduces the interaction with the external world and directs one to his/her inner selves until it reaches the true self. This is the big " I " the wise men talk about. This is what they mean when they say "You be you".

Is self-realization a desire? No it is much more real than a desire. Desire is bound to time and space. Self-realization is the answer to the question "Who am I?"
To give a personal experience, when I was little I thought I'd be a space physics engineer. Then my sister bought a computer and I said, no I'll do computer graphics. Then I came to New Zealand, this time I did computer science and I worked as a programmer. Two years ago I thought, no……, I want to become a psychologist, so I studied psychology for a year. But now I work as software developer. All these years I've been asking the wrong question from myself "Who should I be?" but really... I should have asked "Who am I ?"

No comments: